Thursday, November 4, 2010

Why Can't You Be More Like That

One of the hardest jobs out there is dealing with people. Everyone has a different personality, a different way of handling situations, a unique way of "doing" things. I have never met two people who did things the exact same. EVER! With anything!! But every once in awhile you will get someone that asks you the age old question "why can't you do it like she used to do?" What do you say to that? How do you answer a question like that? 

Today at work I had a meeting with my boss (or should I say confrontation since he did most of the talking and I sat there taking it). Eventually, I was being compared to his old Marketing Manager, Kate, who in his eyes should be renamed "Kate The Great", in which every aspect of my job she did better. Oh KTG used to do this, and she was great at that, and blah blah blah. Why can't you be more like KTG? As I sat their silently fuming, all I could think was- she is not that great, in fact she is as personable as a stick and rudeness seems to rise from her like steam off of crap. I swear I can see it and it's mean- real mean. Why in the world would a guy even compare you to another female...to your face? I know I have a tendency to be stoic, but wouldn't anyone be able to see how making a comparison like that could hurt ones feelings? Or more importantly piss you off?

I spent the rest of the afternoon not knowing if I should be sad or mad. Eventually I said screw it. I am who I am, I am good at what I'm good at, and I am bad at what I'm bad at. At the end of the day I like me just fine. I am Stephanie Marie Seufert dammit. I wouldn't want to be more like anyone else, not even KTG, and if he don't like it he can find somebody else.

How I only wish I could have said this to my boss' face, but money talks and bullshit walks...I think he knew that too. Which, I guess, means he can compare me to whomever he pleases- because I will sit there and take it, because that's who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment